Testosterone is the main hormone of vitality in men! 🕺 It’s made by the testicles and influences mood, energy, stamina, muscle mass, libido, fertility, and sexual function. Testosterone is also important in women, and is made by the ovaries.
Have you had your testosterone level checked recently? Is it optimal for your age and balanced with your other hormones?
What are natural ways to help boost your testosterone levels?
1) Exercise: A combination of cardiovascular exercise as well as strength training can help boost your body’s production of testosterone. I’ve seen men more than double their testosterone levels by just exercising regularly! 🙌
2) Lose Weight: Fat cells contain an enzyme called aromatase that converts testosterone to estradiol (estrogen)! 😱 This is why men who are overweight have more estrogen, and often develop breast tissue (gynecomastia). As shown in the diagram above, by losing extra abdominal fat, you will be raising your testosterone and reducing your estrogen levels.
3) Sleep 😴: If you are sleep deprived, your stress hormone known as cortisol will be high, which suppresses healthy testosterone production.
4) Diet: Eat a whole foods diet that helps balance your blood sugar. This means ample vegetables🥦, protein, fiber, and good fats 🥑. Avoid sugar, refined and processed carbohydrates and minimize alcohol which can spike your insulin levels. Insulin resistance and diabetes are associated with lower testosterone levels.
5) Take Key Supplements:
6) Avoid Environmental Chemicals ☠️ like BPA from plastics, phthalates from fragrances, and xenoestrogens (chemical estrogens) from non-organic meat 🥩 and dairy products🥛.
To learn more about hormone balance in men, please watch my video on YouTube.
Rajsree Nambudripad, MD