Colorful Saturday Lunch! These cute little carrots are straight from the garden! I enjoyed them dipped in beet hummus. Amazing sweetness and crunch! I also had grilled salmon and fresh cucumber slices topped with beet hummus.
Recipe for Beet Hummus:
2 small beets steamed (or you can use the precooked package from Trader Joes)
1 can of garbanzo beans, drained
2 tablespoons tahini
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 clove of garlic, minced
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cumin
Mix all ingredients in a food processor until smooth.
5 Reasons to Eat Beets:
- Beets are great liver detoxifiers
- Beets are loaded in beta carotene (vitamin A) which gives them their dark red color.
- Beets have resistant starches that are good for the gut microbiome
- Beets helps boost your body’s production of nitric oxide (helps to relax blood vessels and lower blood pressure)
- Beets are loaded in antioxidants, and are a good source of potassium, iron, calcium, magnesium, vitamin C
Beets are a superfood, and personally I love them!
Cheers to fresh and clean eating this weekend!
~Rajsree Nambudripad, MD