Happy June! Omega 3 Fish Oil is one of my favorite essential supplements that I recommend to almost all of my patients! It’s #1 for preventative health!
Omega 3 Fatty Acids from Fish Oil (EPA and DHA) are essential fatty acids, needed for phospholipids of all cell membranes throughout your body. Your body cannot make Omega 3 Fatty Acids, so you have to get it from your diet or supplements.
Most Americans are deficient in Omega 3 Fatty Acids and have a high ratio of Omega 6 to Omega 3 Fatty Acids due to the consumption of highly refined seed and vegetable oils (fast foods and processed foods). Unfortunately this high Omega 6:3 ratio promotes inflammation and chronic diseases, including obesity.
Food sources of EPA and DHA include wild salmon and sardines . Among vegetarian sources, algae has similar EPA and DHA to fish oil. This makes sense since the fish feed on algae!
Walnuts, chia, and flax have Alpha Linolenic Acid (ALA), another form of Omega 3 Fatty Acid, but unfortunately this form converts poorly to EPA and DHA, which are considered the superior forms of Omega 3 Fatty Acids.
Let’s Review 10 Health Benefits of Omega 3 Fish Oil:
1) Brain Health: Improves cognitive function and is great for memory and mental sharpness
2) Heart Health: Prevents cardiovascular disease and reduces triglycerides
3) Eyes : Great for vision and preventing dry eyes
4) Hormones (male and female): Helps with menstrual regularity, cramps, and PMS symptoms
5) Mood: Helps alleviate depression, reduces anxiety, and improves focus
6) Improves Your Immune Response
7) Joints: Helps to lubricate your joints (everything from your knees to your spinal vertebrae!)
8) Skin: Helps to moisture and soften skin, and reduce acne
9) Prevents Cancer: Research shows reduced cancer risks and better outcomes with Omega 3 Fatty Acid supplementation
10) Reduces inflammation throughout your body! This is a powerful tool in autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, Hashimoto’s thyroid disease, and inflammatory bowel diseases. The dosing in autoimmune disease can be increased to 2-4 grams per day.
Our Omega 3 Fish Oil is derived from anchovies (small fish) and has been 3rd party tested to ensure no mercury. Most people benefit from taking 1 capsule daily. If you’d like to try our Omega 3 Fish Oil, you can place an order below:
Rajsree Nambudripad, MD